Monday, June 20, 2016

My Level of Preparedness for Girls State and What I Learned
If there is one thing I have realized in the 24 hours I have been at Girls State, it is that some, like myself come completely unprepared compared to others. When I heard the announcement in chapel a couple months back about Girls State, I had no idea what exactly it was, but I thought it was something I would be interested in. I picked up an application and filled it out. A couple weeks later, I received a packet in the mail with papers of information to go over and fill out before my arrival. Being the procrastinator that I am, I submitted the paperwork two days after it was due and read the remaining information the night of the 17th (the day before). While reading over the “what to bring” sheet, I thought of the idea of possibly running for a position. On this list it said to bring campaign materials just in case. So that night, I went to Rite Aid and stocked up. 

Feeling prepared and ready to campaign, I showed up at Girls State the first day and soon came to realize many others had been far more prepared. Delegates had printed out pamphlets, pre-made posters and even handed out lollipops with their name. And here I was, with my poster board and materials still in the packaging. It was at this point where I realized I was definitely prepared.

But this was not the end. It soon became clear I was not alone, but beyond that it became clear it didn’t matter. This is an environment in which delegates are supported and encouraged to try new things out, even if they are unsure. So whether a delegate came ready to campaign, or came with the materials still in the box, it didn’t matter. All were equally supported and presented with the same opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment