Tuesday, June 21, 2016

  The Power Behind the Pledge of Allegiance is Not Forgotten

Over the expanse of the last few days, I have grown used to the steady rhythm of the heart beneath my breast. The same drumbeat that it's always seemed to play yet, this time, the meaning behind it appears to have shifted. Hot, heavy, and slow, yet powerful as it thrums against the palm of my right hand. It’s kind of tragic really, how this feeling of gratefulness that taps itself out against my outstretched fingers, is a feeling that I had to dig deep into the trenches of my past to remember. How the last time many of us had performed such a piece, was easily several years ago; back when our weak hands were too small to even cover our heart much less feel it beneath our t-shirts. Yet, now, as I stand with the flag flapping wildly in the wind above my head, elbows brushing awkwardly with those of the girls beside me, I feel my heart welcoming that grateful feeling back into itself again. Especially, as we call forth from the dusty dark chasms of our childhood, the words of the pledge that we’ve long since abandoned. Finally, these lyrics, meant to honor those who fought to allow us to stand where we do today, are serving their purpose. In the flood of green polos, one can see that we truly do represent the one nation that stands, indivisible, even under a greater source of power. Each body in those lines of teenagers, though varying in appearance, attitude, and mind is linked by similar goals of both patriotism and female success as it benefits the nation surrounding her.


Lauren Covey

Town of Howard

No comments:

Post a Comment