Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Football: A Men’s Sport
Gabrielle Ochs From the Town of Jones
I play football, and I am a woman in a men’s sport. I have been told that I shouldn’t be playing, just because I am a girl. What does that mean? Do they think I am fragile, and will break if I trip or get tackled? Do they assume I know nothing about football? Most people have told my mom that she is crazy for letting my sister and I play on our school’s varsity team. I also dislike when boys and men think that they know everything about football, when in reality they have no clue what they are talking about. As a girl, I look up to Kathryn Smith. She is the first full time NFL coach who  was hired last season by the Buffalo Bills. She is an inspiration because she has done what others have never done before, and others possible have wanted to do.

I love football, and know a lot about it. It is sad when I hear girls say that they want to play football, but their parents say that they are fragile, and they don’t want their daughters to get hurt. It also hurts when I am told that I shouldn’t be playing because of my size. Why can that 110 pound freshman get into games, but I can’t? Whatever the reason, I hope that our country can change, so future generation of women that love football can play and enjoy the game that I and so many others love.

No comments:

Post a Comment